The District of Highlands Official Community Plan states that all land use decisions must consider water (Section 2.1). Numerous sections in the OCP provide objectives and policy direction related to source water protection, including:
- Section 3.3 – water features and riparian areas as environmentally sensitive areas,
- Section 3.5 – watershed and groundwater management,
- Section 3.8 – soil and water pollution,
- Section 7.2 – water supply and well protection, and
- Section 7.5 – surface water drainage and the importance of managing stormwater.